Tuesday 29 December 2020

Vale 2020

 

At the end of 2020, I thank the small coterie of regular readers of this idiosyncratic blog and the wider group of more occasional readers.

 

To express my appreciation and acknowledge my readers, I have attached a link to a short article by Barry Lopez “Love in a Time of Terror: On Natural Landscapes, Metaphorical Living, and Warlpiri Identity” (link here).

 

Lopez, who died last week, was previously unknown to me. His best known book was Arctic Dreams, an account of five years living in the Arctic. A 2005 review (link here) by Robert Macfarlane, whose work I have read and enjoyed, described Lopez as ‘the most important living writer about wilderness’.

 

This sentence from Love in a Time of Terror struck a chord with me:

It is more important to live for the possibilities that lie ahead than to die in despair over what has been lost.

 

Apart from the challenge of seeing the world in non-rational and metaphorical ways, embedded in these words is a deep respect for human agency, and perhaps even an argument for the importance of individual agency over structure.

 

It is an essential thought and touchstone, even for policymakers, upon which to end 2020, and begin 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment