Sunday 9 February 2020

Richard Wagamese speaks to us too



For Joshua, an Ojibwe father teaches his son (link here) comprises a series of letters from a father to his estranged son by an acclaimed Canadian author, Richard Wagamese.  I came across an extract from For Joshua and found it both engaging and moving (link here).

I decided to post about Wagamese because I suspect that he is largely unknown in Australia, yet solely on the evidence of the extract from For Joshua, I am confident that his perspective and insights have multiple resonances with the experience of many Indigenous Australians.

His Wikipedia page (link here) and the obituary posted by his publishers (link here) both suggest that a key theme in his writing is about the experience and consequences of intergenerational trauma arising from dispossession and child removal. Notwithstanding my own experience working on Indigenous affairs policy, I was slow to appreciate the extraordinary prevalence and importance of intergenerational trauma in shaping the arc of Indigenous lives, and the concomitant implications for policy. 

I suspect that the vast majority of Australians, even those well disposed to Indigenous aspirations, similarly under-appreciate the importance and intensity of intergenerational trauma arising from dispossession and social and economic exclusion.

Sometimes, there is value in seeing the world not through our own experiences and perspectives, nor through out own national contexts, but through a new and different lens. I found it valuable to reflect on the extract from Wagamese’s letters to his son, outlining his experiences in Canada, while asking myself the question, does this dynamic happen here in Australia?  

At a personal level, I propose to seek out more of Wagamese’s published work, but thought I would share the existence of his oeuvre with others who might be interested via this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment